Your first day

Dear new researchers,

Welcome to Kavli IPMU!  We want to help ensure that you can settle into your research life at Kavli IPMU. We have compiled some services and information for you.

On your first day at Kavli IPMU, please confirm that you have these documents/material with you:

  • Passport
  • Resident Card:  You must receive it at the first airport where you landed in Japan.
  • Boarding Stub:  Please keep a boarding stub which you will be left with.  It will be required to get the airfare refund and the boarding stub is proof that you actually flew on that flight.
  • Hanko (Stamp Seal):  If you have own your Hanko, please bring it. (In Japan, “Hanko”, a personal seal, is used more often than a signature. It will be useful when you do administrative paperwork, open a bank account, sign contracts and etc., so we advise you to purchase one for yourself.  Inexpensive hankos cost about a thousand yen. You can order one using alphabet, kanji (Chinese characters) or katakana.  If you agree to make one, we will order it on your behalf to make your administrative paper work easier and simpler.)

1.  Residence Registration

If you move directly into a room at Kashiwa International Lodge, we will take you to Kashiwa City Hall to complete your residence registration.  Although you are temporary staying at a hotel to look for an apartment, you still need to complete your residence registration at the regional city hall where the hotel is located. 

For details:  Residence Registration

2.  Open a Bank Account

You are required to open a bank account in Japan to receive a monthly salary.  Please access this site and decide which bank you prefer to open your account.

Bank Account

Once you decide, we will take you to the bank counter and help you to open your account.

3.  Social Insurance Enrollment

We will prepare all necessary documents for you and your dependents to enroll in the Japanese Social Insurance Program.  You will be enrolled in:

Health Insurance:  Those who have the employment contract with the University of Tokyo automatically join a welfare program package called Mutual Society of Health Insurance ("Kyosai") run by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT).  In the case that the insured employee (Kyosai member) supports dependents, the dependents are eligible for coverage under the Kyosai health insurance plan as well. 

For details:   Health Insurance

Pension Plan:  You will join the Employees' Pension Insurance (EPI) system which provides "earning-related pension" on top of the Basic Pension.  All full-time employees at Todai are enrolled in MEXT Mutual Aid Associations (“Kyosai”) EPI Plan which consists of EPI and National (Basic) Pension.

For details:  Pension

Labor Insurance: There are two types of labor insurance; workers accident compensation insurance (rosai hoken) and employment insurance (koyo hoken).

  1. Workers Accident Compensation Insurance:  If an insured person becomes ill, suffers injury or dies while he/she is at work or commuting, the benefits will be paid to the insured person or his/her family.
  2. Employment Insurance:  Employment insurance helps people who have been recently unemployed to find a new job and also provides them with benefits to help cover their living expenses until they are employed again.

For details:   Labor Insurance

4.  Income Tax

We need your Hanko or signature on the “Report on Exemption for Dependents, etc.” form in order to decide your withholding income tax amount. 

For details:  Income Tax

5.  Commuting Route

You need to decide on a commuting route and means of transportation from your living address to IPMU.  This is to be used to calculate your commuting allowance and also for workers accident compensation insurance. 

6.  Receiving Monthly Salary

You need to register your bank account to receive your monthly salary.

For details:   Payroll & Commuting Allowance

7.  Paid Vacation

Please confirm the number of your paid vacation days for this calendar year and also the procedure to take them.  Working Hour & Paid Vacation

8.  Responsibility

Please access this site and read it carefully and thoroughly.  Responsibilities

9.  Evacuation Route

Please confirm the evacuation routes in the Kavli IPMU Building.  Evacuation Route

10. Safety Education Video

It is mandatory for all new employees to watch this video, take the quiz, and review their understanding.  Safety Education

11. Computing and Network

See the IPMU Wiki site's IT section for PC specs and wireless network information.  Computing

12. Health Checkup for Newly Hired Employees 

You are required to take a health checkup upon employment.  More details regarding this checkup will be given to you from Team IPMU.  Health Checkup

13. Applying for a Credit Card

It’s convenient to have at least one Japanese credit card which can be settled in Yen.  Please consider a gold credit card which usually has enhanced amenity services including travel insurance as an option.  Credit Card

14. JISTEC Support Desk

We will prepare and give you an individual “Emergency Card” which has emergency contact numbers and your name in both English and Japanese.  In case of emergency, call us at those numbers.  It is also useful in identifying you.  For general information about JISTEC support desk, please refer this site:  JISTEC Support Staff

15. Japanese Classes

 Japanese Classes

16. Bicycle

When purchasing a bicycle, theft prevention registration must be completed at the store.  Bicycle

17. Team IPMU

We wish you a good start, a most interesting and successful research stay at Kavli IPMU!   Team IPMU

All the best!