Contact: International Relations Section
I. Bicycle Traffic Rules
Please follow guidelines below to ensure your safety when riding a bicycle.
II. Riding & Parking Bicycle in Kashiwa Campus
1. Bicycle sticker for Kavli IPMU members
Kavli IPMU provides a bicycle sticker for each bicyclist.
Contact International Relations Section to get one.
2. Bicycle Traffic Route on Campus
Riding and parking bicycles in the area in front of the main entrance of the Kavli IPMU building is prohibited.
Bicyclists are subject to the same rules of the road as motor vehicles. The maximum speed limit on campus is 30km/h, except where posted otherwise. Be respectful of pedestrians. They have the right-of-way.
Orange lines: the route which people may ride their bicycles. In other places on the campus, it is prohibited to ride a bicycle. To park a bicycle in the parking area in the Kavli IPMU building, ride as shown in red.
Green areas: the parking lots for Kavli IPMU bicycles
3. Parking Lots
Keep your bicycles only in the IPMU desingated parking spaces.
Parking Lot in the Kavli IPMU Building
Parking Lots on the north side of the Kavli IPMU Building. Please see green areas in the map above.
4. Bicycle Hazarad Map in Kashiwa Campus
For your reference, please see the Bicycle Hazarad Map in Kashiwa Campus here.
III. Parking Bicycles Outside of Kashiwa Campus
Leave your bicycle only in the designated parking areas. Bicycles being left outside of the parking areas are towed away, and a fine is charged to you.
1. Map of the Bicycle Parking Areas around the Kashiwanoha Campus Station
PDF file is avalable here.
2. Bicycle Parking around the Kashiwanoha Campus Station
- Visit the office at the Bicycle Parking Area A. [Office Hours: 6:00am – 8:00pm]
- Fill out the application form.
- Pay the fee and receive a sticker and an IC card.
- Put the sticker on your bicycle.
|Dai-ichi [#1&B]||Dai-ni [#2]||Dai-san [#3]|
To extend the contract, you need to bring the IC card and receive a new sticker. Application for renewal of contract for 1 year will be accepted only in March.
Those who wish to use the area (A) for a daily basis do not need to apply for that in advance. Register yourself and pay the fee (150JPY/day) each time you use at the counter.
A parking lot on the west sied of the Lalaport Kashiwanoha North Building is 24 hours available.
IV. Bicycle Theft Prevention Registration
Based on the Japanese laws and regulations, every bicycle-owner must complete the Bicycle Theft Prevention Registration. The registration is valid for 10 years.
Note: The information 1-3 applies only to those living in the Chiba Prefecture.
1. When Purchasing a New Bicycle
When you purchase a new bicycle, complete the Bicycle Theft Prevention Registration at the shop.
- Fill out the registration form.
- Pay 500JPY as the registration fee.
- Place a sticker being given to you on your bicycle.
The sticker plays the following roles:
- Certificate that the Bicycle Theft Prevention Registration has been completed.
- Prevention of stealing
- Clue for early discovery when your bicycle is stolen
Keep the following documents in a safe place: receipt, warranty, copy of your registration form.
2. When Obtaining a Second-handed Bicycle
If the former owner completed the Bicycle Theft Prevention Registration, the registered data of the former owner must be changed accordingly. If you have difficulty in speaking Japanese, contact the support desk staff.
- Ask the former owner to fill out the form “Deed of Bicycle Ownership Transfer”.
- Go to a nearby bicycle shop or the Police Station located in the city where you are living.
|Kashiwa Police Station||Community Safety Section (Seikatsu Anzen Ka),
722-1, Matsugasaki, Kashiwa-shi, Chiba, 277-8554
|Nagareyama Police Station||Community Safety Section (Seikatsu Anzen Ka)
744-4, Miwanoyama, Nagareyama-shi, Chiba, 270-0175
If the bicycle you obtained has not been registered, it is you as the new owner that is responsible for the Bicycle Theft Prevention Registration. Prepare the following documents as well as the bicycle to be registered and go to the University CO-OP or a bicycle shop.
- Your ID issued by a public agency (drivers license, residence card etc.)
- Deed of Bicycle Ownership Transfer
- 500JPY as the registration fee
|Shop||Business Hours||Address||Phone Number|
|University CO-OP (Food Shop)||10:00am – 9:00pm||On Campus||Ext. 61023
|Cycle Base Asahi (Kashiwanoha)||10:00am – 8:00pm||404-28, Toyofuta, Kashiwa-shi||04-7137-0371|
V. Renting a Bicycle
You can rent a bicycle at the Kashiwanoha Campus Station Bicycle Parking Area A (Noth side).
- Business hours: 6:00am – 8:00pm (daily; closed between Dec 29 – Jan 3)
- Rental Contract / Fee: daily (300JPY/day) or monthly (3,000JPY/month)
- Number of available bicycles: 80
- Contact 04-7132-5499
Bring your ID and applicable fees to the office of the Parking Area during the business hours. For a monthly rent, you have to visit the office between 1st and 25th of the previous month.
Monthly contract enters into force on the same day of signing, and ends on the last day of the month when the contract is signed.
Regardless of the length of contract, you should return to the bicycle to a lot and the key to an officer at the Bicycle Parking Area at the end of each day.
If you need any more information, contact Support Desk Staff .
Ⅵ. Insurance for Bicycle Accidents
You can buy an insurance for bicycle accidents. There are several insurance plans under which you will receive insurance money under the following cases (*):
- You accidentally get injured while riding a bicycle
- You hurt somebody while riding a bicycle
- You damage somebody else's property while riding a bicycle
(*) Detailed coverage differs depending on the plan.
The annual insurance fee is around 2,000JPY - 5,000JPY. There are plans which you can buy at a convenience store.
According to the Metropolitan Police Department, bicycle is involved in around 20% of traffic accidents. In case you injure somebody else by your fault in operating a bicycle, you will have to pay a lot of compensation. While such insurance is not mandatory, we recommend that you check the insurances you currently have and consider whether you need an insurance for bicycle accidents.
If you need any more information, contact Support Desk Staff .