If you have been a member of Kavli IPMU, your individual page should appear in the Alumnae/Alumni or “Past Admitted Student” page. We also monitor individual profiles and update the contents based on confirming facts. How we collect information is outlined below.
Please treat the personal data of other alumns with respect, and do not use the site and its data to, for example, send spam or email from third parties.
How do we collect your information?
We may have collected your personal data:
- from the information you provided to us when you were applying to a job opportunity or study as a student at Kavli IPMU;
- when you interacted with us during your time as a researcher, student or member of staff at Kavli IPMU;
- when you made a donation;
- when you registered for an event and provided us with your contact details;
- by checking external data lists or websites;
- when you contact us;
What types of information do we collect about you?
The types of personal data we collect about alumnae/alumni and the past admitted students includes:
- name, nationality, date of birth and gender;
- your contact details (for example, work postal address, work phone number and email address);
- details of your research and studies;
- previous job(s) and institution(s);
- your employer, job title and other employment information after Kavli IPMU;
- your personal interests during your time at Kavli IPMU and now;
- records of your interactions with us such as seminar, conference and events you have attended.
Kavli IPMU does not collect any other sensitive personal data, except for:
information on special requirements for events (for example, for individuals with disabilities);
and information on criminal convictions.
How will we use your information?
Your data may be used by Kavli IPMU to communicate with you by post, email or telephone for its alumnae/alumni engagement, promotional and fundraising purposes, including:
- distribution of institute communications (for example, newsletters and annual reports);
- promotion and organization of events and reunions;
- the promotion of benefits and services available to alumn;
- inviting you to share your skills and experience with our current researchers;
You remain in control of how we contact you. If at any time you would no longer like to receive our communications via post, email or telephone, please let us know how you would like us to stay in contact with you. Please email us to update your preferences at email@example.com .
How will we protect your information?
Kavli IPMU will comply with data protection legislation in our handling of personal data. We aim to keep your data safe and secure, only for as long as necessary, and to use it only for stated purposes.
We will never sell or give your data to other organizations or individuals for marketing purposes.
Who will we share your information with?
The Institute is required to share some of your data and statistics anonymously with JSPS (Japan Society for the Promotion of Science) and MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology), for example, for mandatory surveys such as the Progress Reports and Annual Reports that the WPI institutes are obliged to carry out. Your data may also be shared with the University of Tokyo to conduct surveys, but your name will be kept anonymous.
We may contract the services of data processors to update and enhance the data we hold on alumnae/alumni and past admitted students. We would only disclose limited personal data to enable them to match our records to their data or to publicly available sources to enhance our records with your information.
We may disclose limited personal data to our contractors to enable them to match our records to their data or to publicly available sources to enhance our records with your information. If you do not want your personal data to be used for any of these purposes, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
What are your rights?
- to check the personal data on your individual Alumnae/Alumni and Past Admitted Student site;
- to require us to correct the personal data we hold about you if it is incorrect;
- to require us to erase your personal data;
- to require us to restrict our data processing activities (and, where our processing is based on your consent, you may withdraw that consent, without affecting the lawfulness of our processing based on consent before its withdrawal);
- to receive your personal data, which you provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and the right to transmit that data to another controller;
- to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to any of our particular processing activities where you feel this has a disproportionate impact on your rights;
Please note that the above rights are not absolute, and we may be entitled to refuse requests where exceptions apply.
Who can you contact about your information?