The World Premier International Research Center Initiative (WPI Program) was established by Japan's Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) in FY2007.
The program provides priority support for projects aimed at creating top world-level research centers staffed at their core with the world's most leading researchers. By achieving a very high research standard and providing an excellent research environment, the centers should possess a level of "global visibility" that attracts top researchers from around the world.
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), commissioned by MEXT to conduct grant selection and project assessment processes, selected five proposals nationwide among many from universities and research centers. The IPMU proposal was praised by the selection committee saying, "A constellation of world class top-notch researchers with meaningful commitment to the project is presented. This will give a good public image for the WPI Initiative - young, dynamic, and exciting. Young, highly articulate prospective center director who is visionary and energetic is a very positive attribute." In addition, the committee praised the University of Tokyo as its host organization, "Strong and substantial supports from the host institution and University President are presented." We believe a bold Institute concept and the strong support from the University were the key for the approval of the proposal.
- Summary of Proposal
- Research Center
- Center Director's Vision
- Host Institution's Commitment
- Outline of Selected Projects and Comments by Program Committee
Other WPI Centers
- Advanced Institute for Materials Research (AIMR)
- Institute for Integrated Cell-Material Sciences (iCeMS)
- Immunology Frontier Research Center (iFRec)
- International Institute for Carbon-Neutral Energy Research (I2CNER)
- International Center for Materials Nanoarchitectonics (MANA)
- International Institute for Integrative Sleep Medicine (IIIS)
- Earth-Life Science Institute (ELSI)
- Institute of Transformative Bio-Molecules (ITbM)
- International Research Center for Neurointelligence (IRCN)
- Nano Life Science Institute (NanoLSI)
- Follow-up results can be downloaded from WPI homepage.