June 8, 2016
Kavli Institute for the Physics and Mathematics of the Universe (Kavli IPMU)
A media artist Norimichi Hirakawa, who makes art works by writing programing codes, is excited to talk with all of you during his upcoming stay to research and make new works at IPMU. It's part of the Artist in Residence (AIR) program.
He'll work in visitor room B10 from June 16th to July 4th. He will come back on this September and work for another few weeks. During his stay, through attending teatime and seminars and organizing a workshop, his goal is to land a prototype for this new work. The prototype is scheduled to be exhibited at our open campus at the end of this October, and at some art galleries. The final piece should be a big installation, and is expected to tour around galleries. Another 2-year-development is expected in finalizing his work.
He welcomes your visits to his space, where he makes his new art works. Furthermore, we are planning to organize several events like a welcome party where he'll give a talk about his works, and host workshops to help you turn the images in your mind into figures.
This program has a number of purposes. For researchers, the artist's art could be useful for your research activities, or the artist might help to bring together researchers in a unique way. On the other hand, the artist tries to unite some parts of Kavli IPMU's Science in his own way and bring them into forms. Finally, the general public can get a thin edge of the wedge of Kavli IPMU's (exciting but complicated) Science via the artist's artworks in a unique way.
Dates & Events
- June 16 (Thu), Start of Residency
- June 17 (Mon), 6pm Arts Society Party@Piazza Fujiwara
- TBA, Workshop
- TBA, regular Open Space
- July 4 (Mon), End of 1st round Residency
- Sep 5 (Mon), Start of Residency
- TBA, regular Open Space
- Sep 23 (Fri), End of Residency
- Oct 21 (Fri) - 22 (Sat) Kashiwa Open Campus
- Science Institute's Artist in Residence Program Results Showcased in Japan and Overseas: The Artist's View, UTokyo web page, 2017
- Norimichi Hirakawa, Science and Art Today, Kavli IPMU NEWS vol.36
- Norimichi Hirakawa
- Kavli IPMU AIR Program 2015: New residence program draws artist to institute, UTokyo web page, 2016
Press officer, Kavli Institute for the Physics and Mathematics of the Universe
* Please change _at_ to @
Kavli IPMU Fundamenal+ Project
A series of events where Kavli IPMU researchers have exchanged discussions with experts from different disciplines. Click here for a full list of past events.